I have finished making the quilt top for my State Flower Quilt. As you may recall from a previous post, I have been working on a quilt that uses the Deco State Flowers by Tiffany Lerman for In the Beginning Fabrics. I was really drawn to the fabric because I wanted to make a quilt honoring all fifty states. I also liked the old fashion look of the deco flowers.
The evolution of this quilt was guided by many factors. This seems to be the way that I work best. I do not like to completely plan a quilt before start. If I do that, I seem to lose interest in the quilt and not finish it. I am more motivated by design than I am by the completion of a project. Therefore, I tend to continue to plan the quilt as I sew it. I have completed many more quilts since I started doing this. If you find yourself losing interest after planning a quilt, you might give this a try.
I purchased 50 fat eighths for the quilt. I decided on a hexie quilt using the Honeycomb Quilt pattern from Eleanor Burns. I have been wanting to make this quilt as a part of my Quilt in a Day Trunk Show and as a sample for a future a workshop. However, I wanted to use as much of the fabric as I could since I would not have enough left-over to make another quilt. So, I increased the size of the quilt.
I cut out the hexagons and equilateral triangles using my Accuquilt (affiliate link*) cutter. I had small pieces of fabric left so I cut those scraps up into half hexagons that had the same size edges.. The remaining fabric was cut into smaller hexagons, equilateral triangles, and half hexagons. I am not sure how I will use the smaller pieces, but I thought as long as I was cutting fabric, I might as well do it all at once. The process went very quickly because I have the Go! Big Electric Fabric Cutter (affiliate link*) It is wide enough so that I can cut using more than one die at a time. The photo shows the various sizes of hexagons, half hexagons, and equilateral triangles that were cut.
I ended up using the larger half hexagon pieces in the border. I have to admit that figuring out how to have the half hexagons meet at the corner was problematic. However, in the end, I did figure it out. I simply had to cut the inner borders so that they were the same length as a complete strip of half hexagons. It turns out that the side inner borders had to be slightly smaller than the top and bottom borders, but I think that it looks fine that way.
The final quilt top. measures 61" by 82". Next, I will be quilting it.
This post was originally published at JANDA Bend Quilts.
* I am an affiliate of Accuquilt. This means that if you clink on my affiliate link and purchase a product from them, I receive a small commission. Thank you for your support!
I am a quilter who is starting a new adventure. After retiring in May 2016, I became a certified Quilt in a Day Instructor. I am certified to teach workshops using Quilt in a Day patterns and techniques. In addition, I am designing my own quilt patterns.
-Coming August 1st!
A Christmas Mystery Quilt Along featuring 12 original Christmas blocks! There will be tutorials by the block designers and giveaways for participants! Links to all the blocks will be available here. My block will be released August 15th. Stay tuned! We Wish You a Merry Quilt Along!