I have finished making the quilt top for my State Flower Quilt. As you may recall from a previous post, I have been working on a quilt that uses the Deco State Flowers by Tiffany Lerman for In the Beginning Fabrics. I was really drawn to the fabric because I wanted to make a quilt honoring all fifty states. I also liked the old fashion look of the deco flowers.
The evolution of this quilt was guided by many factors. This seems to be the way that I work best. I do not like to completely plan a quilt before start. If I do that, I seem to lose interest in the quilt and not finish it. I am more motivated by design than I am by the completion of a project. Therefore, I tend to continue to plan the quilt as I sew it. I have completed many more quilts since I started doing this. If you find yourself losing interest after planning a quilt, you might give this a try.
I purchased 50 fat eighths for the quilt. I decided on a hexie quilt using the Honeycomb Quilt pattern from Eleanor Burns. I have been wanting to make this quilt as a part of my Quilt in a Day Trunk Show and as a sample for a future a workshop. However, I wanted to use as much of the fabric as I could since I would not have enough left-over to make another quilt. So, I increased the size of the quilt.
I cut out the hexagons and equilateral triangles using my Accuquilt (affiliate link*) cutter. I had small pieces of fabric left so I cut those scraps up into half hexagons that had the same size edges.. The remaining fabric was cut into smaller hexagons, equilateral triangles, and half hexagons. I am not sure how I will use the smaller pieces, but I thought as long as I was cutting fabric, I might as well do it all at once. The process went very quickly because I have the Go! Big Electric Fabric Cutter (affiliate link*) It is wide enough so that I can cut using more than one die at a time. The photo shows the various sizes of hexagons, half hexagons, and equilateral triangles that were cut.
I ended up using the larger half hexagon pieces in the border. I have to admit that figuring out how to have the half hexagons meet at the corner was problematic. However, in the end, I did figure it out. I simply had to cut the inner borders so that they were the same length as a complete strip of half hexagons. It turns out that the side inner borders had to be slightly smaller than the top and bottom borders, but I think that it looks fine that way.
The final quilt top. measures 61" by 82". Next, I will be quilting it.
This post was originally published at JANDA Bend Quilts.
* I am an affiliate of Accuquilt. This means that if you clink on my affiliate link and purchase a product from them, I receive a small commission. Thank you for your support!
I am a quilter who is starting a new adventure. After retiring in May 2016, I became a certified Quilt in a Day Instructor. I am certified to teach workshops using Quilt in a Day patterns and techniques. In addition, I am designing my own quilt patterns.
Follow JANDA Bend Quilts on Bloglovin' by clicking on the button below: